Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Friday July 8th 5-10PM *Free
The City of Burbank will celebrate its 100th year with the Party of the Century in Downtown Burbank, Friday, July 8 from 5:00 to 10:00 P.M.
Encompassing six city blocks including San Fernando Boulevard, Palm Avenue, AMC Walkway, Orange Grove and Olive Avenue, it will express the civic pride and community spirit that have characterized Burbank’s first 100 years. When the sun goes down there will be a fireworks display!
• It all starts at 5:00 P.M. with the national anthem and live broadcast in front of City Hall (275 E Olive Avenue) featuring KNBC Weatherman Fritz Coleman, civic dignitaries, former Mayors and a host of celebrities from Burbank’s rich film and television production history.
• Mickey and Minnie Mouse will present one of the largest cupcake displays ever! Big enough to feed 2,000 people, this super-sized confection made from thousands of regular-sized cakes stacked high on a custom-built stand, will be given away on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Following the ceremony at approximately 5:45 P.M. will be the Air Parade, Included will be McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornets. B-25 Mitchell bombers, Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena Police Notar helicopters, Aero Squadron World War II planes, helicopters from Los Angeles County Los Angeles County Fire, Long Beach Police and the Orange County Sheriff departments and more.
• Then, there will be the Mascot Parade led by Bugs Bunny and featuring Burbank High’s Bulldog, the John Burroughs Cheer Squad, Hootie the Owl, Domino’s Noid, Geoffrey the Giraffe, the H.T. Bee, Sergeant McGruff the Crime Dog, Burbank Fire Department’s L’il Squirt and many more. Characters will cavort down Olive Avenue to San Fernando Boulevard.
• Multiple stages will fill the streets with continuous performances by rock and rollers Captain Cardiac and the Coronaries, the Alley Cats, a USO Show by Wartime Radio Revue, DJ Ranney spinning Burbank’s favorite tunes, a Fabulous Fifties stage with the retro crooners High Street, celebrity lookalikes, jazz and blues band The Bluez Express, a kids stage featuring Radio Disney’s Street Team and NBT artist Sacha Edwards, 14-year-old pop and rock sensation who has already performed over 100 live shows in some of Los Angeles' hottest venues.
• An 18-foot animatronic Tyrannosaurus Rex similar to the frightening carnivore in Steven Spielberg’s 1997 classic The Lost World: Jurassic Park will be on display at the Universal City Studios Credit Union (175 E Olive Avenue), along with screenings of the film, which was in part filmed in Downtown Burbank.
• To finish, there will a stunning Fireworks Grand Finale choreographed to Burbank-related movie and television soundtracks.
• Free shuttles courtesy of SuperShuttle will be running continuously from 4:00 to 11:00 P.M. with stops at McCambridge Park Recreation Center (Glenoaks Boulevard and Amherst Drive) and the Downtown Burbank Metrolink Station (201 N Front Street)